Version history for the Series Engine plugin
Version 2.2.4 is a bug fix release that addresses install and update issues for WordPress multisite users.
Version 2.2.3 is a small bug fix release that addresses an issue where OG tags could cause Series Engine content to render in the header during certain conditions.
Version 2.2.2 is a small bug fix release that fixes issues with quotes throughout the interface, addresses some issues with image uploads, and adds a toggle for disabling OG tags (if they're already being generated by your theme code or another plugin).
Version 2.2.1 is a small feature update that automatically pushes open graph tags to Series Engine permalink pages for social sharing. Long story short, the appropriate text and images should now be pulled in automatically when a Message is shared.
Version 2.2 is a feature and bug fix update with a few key focus areas:
- Prettier permalinks! Series Engine now automatically generates beautiful share links for each message. No more ugly share links full of URL parameters! Series Engine uses the "messages" slug by default, but you can easily change this in Settings > Series Engine > Advanced.
- Integration with site search! Series Engine's new permalinks also integrate natively with WordPress's built-in search functions, meaning your Messages are now easily discoverable when users search your site.
- Search Engine Optimization! Those beautifully discoverable permalinks means your Series Engine archives are now fully search engine indexable, giving your Messages a huge SEO boost.
- You can now edit a Message's permalink slug and turn comments on and off when editing the Message in the "Advanced Settings" tab.
- Share links for social networks will now pull in details for individual Messages.
- You can now include scripture references in the Bulk Upload tool.
- We fixed an issue where content with duplicate titles wouldn't show up in various plugin views.
- Changing labels in the Settings menu is no longer limited by character length.
- You can now easily hide the Series Engine branding on the front end of you site in Settings.
WordPress can be kind of funny with permalinks when you add a new slug, so after you update, head over to Settings > Permalinks and click save at the bottom of the page (you don't need to make any changes unless you want to). You'll also want to run the one-click permalink updater in Series Engine > Import and Export to get permalinks generated for all of your existing Messages.
If you have more questions about permalinks, check out a detailed walkthrough of how they work in Series Engine > User Guide. We hope you enjoy this update!
Version 2.1.2 is a small bug fix release that addresses missing Series titles when viewing Messages in the admin panel, an issue generating Series archives embed codes with custom Related Messages views, and an issue where the "Speaker" filter menu on the Messages admin page wouldn't load.
Version 2.1 is a feature and bug fix update with a few key focus areas:
- Speed, speed, and more speed! All of Series Engine's magic happens because of its custom database structure, and we've completely reoptimized it to make your page loads up to 10x faster (not an exaggeration). Your visitors will notice a HUGE difference in snappiness as they navigate your sermon archives.
- Speaking of magic, Series Engine now tracks view counts of Vimeo embed plays along with your other audio and video files. That's the most common type of embedded video used with the plugin, so for many of you, that means your Series Engine stats just became a lot more useful.
- Fixed a bug where Messages didn't paginate properly when viewing them according to Bible book.
- Fixed a bug where some titles with apostrophes in them wouldn't show up on various edit screens.
- Fixed a few small bugs when changing colors and labels in the settings screen.
Version 2.0.5 is a small feature update, hot on the heels of our 2.0 release. Here's what was changed:
- You can now import from Sermon Manager! If you're looking to make the switch to Series Engine, you can now take all of your sermons with you in a matter of seconds. Learn more here.
- Improved Sermon Browser import: That plugin stores its media data in a peculiar fashion, so we've improved the reliability of what gets imported.
- Improved date formatting: Series Engine will now change the display dates throughout the plugin to match the date format set in your WordPress install's General Settings.
- We fixed a small visual bug with the audio player where certain elements of the player wouldn't be displayed if the Audio tab was hidden on the first page load.
Version 2.0 is here, and its the biggest release in the history of the plugin. Let's get straight to the new features:
- Built for speed: We've rebuilt a huge portion of the plugin behind-the-scenes, and you should see a noticable improvement in page loads and general zippiness.
- Robust scripture support: You can now attach an unlimited number of scripture passages to each message, which will automatically link to bible.com in a variety of translations of your choosing. You can even search for your messages by book of the bible in a new search dropdown menu. (Turn this on in Settings > Series Engine to use it. Some of you renamed the topics feature and used it for scripture previously, so this doesn't turn on by default for upgraders.)
- A new look for related message lists: The related message lists that appear below the current message now have two gorgeous new styles available... grid view and row view. These new views look amazing, show off your sermon graphics, do a better job using the screen real estate, and can even feature a download/link and scripture information for the message.
- View counts for messages: When you visit the messages screen in the WordPress dashboard, you'll now see view counts beside your messages. Series Engine now tracks web plays of audio, and self-hosted video files.
- New embed options: When you generate a shortcode, you can now hide individual search dropdowns from the explorer (something at the top of many of your wishlists), and can choose to embed with one of the new views for related messages.
- Images in podcasts: Another big wishlist item for many of you, you can now specify podcast images in series and message settings that will show up for individual items in your podcasts. This is big news for many of you that also use those feeds to populate your apps.
- Featured links/downloads: When adding or editing a file for a message, you can now mark it as a featured download to be displayed in the related messages lists (this will only show up in the new grid or row views).
- Set a max embed width: Most of you really dig the new fully responsive desktop view, but if Series Engine was displaying too large for your tastes, you can now set a max-width in Settings > Series Engine.
- Countless bug fixes: We found all sorts of tiny little bugs while crafting this update, and we squished them all.
- One more thing... You can now import from Sermon Browser. Thousands of folks used this popular plugin for years, and we've added one-click importing of that plugin's content into Series Engine for folks looking to make the switch. It takes less than 10 seconds, and it's awesome. More support for importing from other plugins is coming soon!
If you're upgrading from a previous version, be sure to stop by the Import and Export page and follow the instructions at the bottom for some one-click data cleanup that will prepare your data to take advantage of all of the new features. Also, it never hurts to clear your browser's cache.
We hope you love v2.0!
Version 1.9.6 is a small bug fix release that modifies the stylesheet to adjust row heights in image-based series archives.
Version 1.9.5 is an exciting feature release that adds two of our most requested features (and a few other small things):
- Bulk uploads are now supported! You can now populate your Series Engine library with hundreds of messages in a matter of seconds with a simple .CSV file. Check out the extensive user guide here.
- Full import and export functionality has been added to the plugin, making it trivial to export Series Engine content from one site and import it to another. The whole process takes about 15 seconds. Get the rundown here.
- We've also added the ability to export and import Series Engine styles and settings between sites. This is especially great for customers who want to experiment with a new look on a staging site before moving it to production. You'll find these options on the new "Import and Export" page with the other migration options.
- The User Guide has been updated with more information on all of these powerful new features.
- The plugin should feel a bit more zippy; we've significantly reduced the page load in a few key areas.
Version 1.9 is a big release that's jam-packed with changes and features:
- Every view of Series Engine is now 100% responsive! No need to mess with "embed widths" for the large/desktop view. Series Engine will now expand and contract to fit the space on large screens (just like it already did on mobile views).
- The smallest mobile view has been enhanced with a new look that displays even more information in the "additional messages" section of the media browser.
- A responsive "large mode" view has been added, increasing the size of fonts and other elements when viewing Series Engine on a large screen.
- Video embed codes have been restyled to keep the correct proportions in every responsive view. No more stretched thumbnails or letterboxing!
- The image-based series archives now feature fully responsive styling, taking the guess work out of properly configuring this (very popular) view.
- Speaking of those achives, you can now remove the text from them as well (if you want to use nothing but images). Change this setting in Settings > Series Engine > Advanced.
- Don't like the responsive breakpoints? You can now edit when mobile and large view sizes kick in under Settings > Series Engine > Advanced.
- You can now style the color of the audio progress bar in Settings > Series Engine.
- You can now redirect podcast feeds directly from Series Engine. Simply edit a podcast and provide a redirect URL to send your subscribers over to the new feed. This will be a big deal for many of you!
- Series Engine now uses the WordPress native version of MediaElement, which should address some theme compatibility issues that have been reported recently (mostly from ShareFaith customers).
- Many legacy toggles and options have been removed from the settings (most because they're no longer needed or obscelete because of the new responsive styles).
- New sizing for Series Images and Archive Images have been added in Settings > Series Engine (due to the large responsive views).
- Additions to the User Guide, and minor bug fixes.
Version 1.8.6 is another big update with some really great improvements and features:
- You can now use self-hosted video files! This is a common request for folks who didn't already use an outside service like YouTube or Vimeo. Simply provide the full URL to the video file when you add or edit a message, and you're good to go.
- The color of the audio player/download button is now customizable in Settings > Series Engine.
- The audio player is now fully responsive (whether the page is reloaded or not).
- Additions to the User Guide, and minor bug fixes.
Version 1.8.5 is a big update that includes several frequently requested improvements:
- You can now embed and view ALL Messages, regardless of Series! Woooooooo! No more workarounds, or having to add every message to a special Series and embedding that. This view is availabe through all custom embed codes in the Browse Series dropdown menu, and you can embed it directly by generating a new custom embed code. Enjoy... a lot of work went into this one.
- Podcasts now link to the Link URL you specify in the podcast's settings, instead of randomly linking to the feed URL.
- A minor PHP 7 warning has been fixed.
- A bug that caused the Series Archives pagination to break in some circumstances has been addressed.
- A few more tips and common questions have been added to the Troubleshooting section of the User Guide.
Get excited! More big updates are on their way in the coming months :-)
Version 1.8.4 is a feature update that includes three frequently requested tweaks to the plugin (yay!):
- The speaker name is now included in the related messages list (on the tablet/desktop view). As you add and update your Messages, you'll begin to see the speaker names populated there.
- Topics are now alphabetized! If you prefer manually sorting them the old way, you can toggle that in Settings > Series Engine.
- You can now specify for Extras links to be opened in the same window or in a new window.
More fun changes and additions are on the horizon!
Version 1.8.3 addresses some (mostly harmless) issues that popped up when saving settings in WP 4.7+.
Version 1.8.2 is a small bug fix release that adds explicit tags for some podcast feeds that were being rejected by iTunes.
Version 1.8.1 is a minor bug fix release that fixes some menu titles in WordPress 4.4 and fixes a style issue for some users who saw extra padding added to the right of their media players.
Version 1.8 is a major feature release that also includes a few bug fixes:
- Pagination for related messages and series archives (finally!). This is completely customizable through Series Engine's Setting page and the Custom Embed Code generator. Also, don't forget to go update the colors for the pagination buttons after install if you don't want them green like default.
- We've updated the plugin updater again. There should be no need to jump through hoops like before... just update and check for updates as usual on the WordPress standard Plugins page.
- Full compatibility with WordPress 4.4 (just fixed a few minor style issues).
- For those running wp_debug(), I eliminated the random widget warning message. Be annoyed no more!
Version 1.7.2 is a small bug fix release that addresses visual glitches in the MediaElement audio player after an update to WordPress 4.1.
Version 1.7.1 is a small update that makes the following adjustments...
- Fixed the audio player volume slider pushing below the player in Chrome.
- Updated to the latest version of MediaElement
- Improved forced audio downloads using the HTML 5 download attribute. (Should work reliably in Chrome and Firefox)
- Added additional troubleshooting instructions in the User Guide.
- Added the ability to style text on alternating rows in complimentary messages for users with dark backgrounds.
Version 1.7 is a sizable update that makes the following adjustments...
- The plugin is now fully responsive, with a beautiful new mobile view featuring all of the same content as the desktop view!
- Stylesheets are no longer dynamically generated, helping the plugin (and your site) load a LOT faster.
- The "Check for Updates" page has been tweaked, ensuring plugin updates delivered to you more promptly.
- A toggle has been added in settings for users experiencing errors when Series Engine tries to generate duration and file size info from files.
- AJAX loading now scrolls users to the top of media browser when loading new content.
- Multisite support enhanced.
- Bug fix where certain graphics wouldn't be saved when a Series is created.
- Removed the "Explore Other Messages" title above the dropdowns that nobody liked :-)
- New logo and brand added throughout the plugin.
- Full compatibility with WordPress 4.0.
Version 1.6 adds full support for retina class devices, and a cosmetic update on the backend for WordPress 3.8 users.
Version 1.5.5 is a bug fix release that addresses the following issues...
- A toggle to add compatibility with the Time.ly Plugin has been added in settings.
- A bug that caused Series Archive pages not to load new content when AJAX is disabled has been fixed.
- Video content should no longer show black bars on the top and bottom in mobile view.
- A new widget view has been added that shows the most recent message with a series graphic. This is a beta feature at this time.
Version 1.5.3 addresses a small issue where some users were unable to change Series images after the last update.
Version 1.5.2 is a bug fix release that addresses the following issues...
- Podcasts should now correctly adjust to timezones again; that was accidentally removed with a previous update.
- Widget and Series thumbnail graphics should now be correctly sized according to the values you set in Settings > Series Engine
- Removed some legacy code that was causing rendering issues for isolate users.
Version 1.5.1 is a bug fix release that addresses the following issues...
- The forced audio downloads from v1.5 are now disabled by default. You can turn it back on in Settings if you like, but some servers tended to choke on that functionality. Its an experimental feature for now.
- Some servers had difficulty displaying the play button in the refreshed audio player. This is corrected now.
- The sort order for recent series is now correct in the Series Engine widget.
Version 1.5 is a big feature release that includes several frequently requested enhancements and updates:
- Full support for the WordPress media gallery released with 3.5 (no more clunky thickbox... so much easier!)
- Series Archives now includes a view in Settings where Series can be browsed by image thumbnail (YAY!)
- Series widgets now include a Series thumbnail when extra details are enabled
- Series graphics are now visible on the Edit Series page
- The audio download button now forces the download of audio when clicked... no more "right click and save as" required!
- Enhanced compatiblity with WordPress 3.6
- ...and several minor bug fixes
Please note: Version 1.5 REQUIRES WordPress 3.5+.
Version 1.4 is a substantial update that includes several frequently requested enhancements and updates:
- Full compatiblity with WordPress 3.6
- Ability to customize labels and terminology throughout the plugin (rename "Speakers," "Topics," etc)
- Updated to the latest version of the MediaElement.js audio player
- You can now disable AJAX loading if needed
- If present, Message descriptions are shown on Podcasts instead of generic text (yay!)
- A more thourough troubleshooting section in the User Guide
- ...and many minor bug fixes
Update now before the next version of WordPress rolls out!
Version 184.108.40.206 is a bug fix release that addresses file/link attachment issues for a small number of users using servers with extreme security settings.
Version 220.127.116.11 is a bug fix release that provides better support for archive pages and is more friendly with Windows servers.
Version 1.3.4 is a bug fix/feature release that makes it much easier to get the latest version of the plugin. Look for the new "Check for Updates" item in the Series Engine menu!
Version 18.104.22.168 is a bug fix release that eliminates some harmless error messages for some users.
Version 22.214.171.124 is a minor bug fix release that enhances theme compatibility.
Version 1.3.3 is a bug fix release for some users experiencing issues with podcast feed validation due to timezone issues.
Version 126.96.36.199 is a bug fix release that fixes a few issues for those using custom embed codes among all Series Types.
Version 188.8.131.52 is a minor bug fix release that addresses (hopefully the last) of the "prepare" warnings in WordPress 3.5
Version 184.108.40.206 is a bug fix release that restores functionality for users using old versions of jQuery. It also addresses an issue where some user's Messages were improperly sorted.
Version 1.3.2 is a compatibility update that adds full support for WordPress 3.5 and jQuery 1.8+, along with some enhanced security.
Version 1.3.1 is a podcasting enchancement release that is recommended for all users. It eliminates several quirks, and adds compatiblity for an expanded array of file types.
Version 220.127.116.11 is a minor bug fix release.
Version 18.104.22.168 is a bug fix release that adds the theme compatibility fix back into the Settings menu for some users.
Version 22.214.171.124 is a compatibility release that addresses visual anomolies that some users have experienced alongside of the MediaElement Plugin. See the troubleshooting section of the User Guide for details.
Version 1.3 is a major feature release that includes support for WordPress Multisite! If you haven't enabled multisite yet, the plugin update will work fine for you if you ever do. If you're already using Series Engine on a multisite install (which probably wasn't pretty), it would be best to uninstall the plugin and reinstall with version 1.3 for a fresh start. Contact email@example.com if you need a fresh copy of the plugin.
Version 126.96.36.199 is a minor compatibility release that compensates for more poorly coded Themes.
Version 188.8.131.52 is a minor compatibility release that compensates for a few other poorly coded plugins.
Version 184.108.40.206 is a compatibility release that compensates for a few poorly coded themes.
Version 1.2.9 is a style compatibility release that adds increased support for IE 7 and fixes an issue where the share link box would be hidden behind some Flash content.
Version 1.2.8 is a bug fix release that fixes some minor issues with podcast links and podcast XML errors due to special characters in titles.
Version 1.2.7 is a bug fix release that allows automatic file data importing to gracefully fail on servers that don't support it (it gets rid of most of the strange error messages you may have seen when uploading an mp3 or video podcast file).
Version 1.2.6 is a bug fix release that addresses occasionally disappearing message tabs.
Version 1.2.5 improves on version 1.2 by adding a new "Extras" menu to your messages (if space allows) in the media browser. This makes your link and file downloads a lot more prominent!
Version 1.2 is a feature release that adds the ability to attach links/file downloads to a Message (woohoo!) and enables you to include HTML in Series and Message descriptions. (Two of our most requested features!)
Version 1.1.3 is feature tweak release that provides more control over message sorting and allows you to use the custom embed code generator to hide the initial default message from view.
Version 1.1.1 is a minor bug fix release that adds more theme compatibility and compensates for a few overzealous themes.
Version 1.1 is a major new feature release that adds several highly requested features to Series Engine...
- Series Engine now automatically generates file size and duration details for podcasting
- A new "Speakers" section has been added, allowing your visitors to browse by Speaker. You can now also generate media browsers, widgets and podcasts by Speaker as well!
- Lists of related messages can now be sorted by newest or oldest first using the custom embed code generator
- Messages with a date in the future will not be publicaly available until that date
- ...and several other tweaks/bug fixes
Be sure to check out your User Guide for detailed instructions on using the new Speakers section and the other great new features.
Version 1.0.2 includes small bug fixes for timezones, pagination and properly escaped characters.
Version 1.0.1 includes small bug fixes for issues that were not discovered in the beta.
Version 1.0 is the first public release. It contains small bug fixes from the beta, most notably enhancements to the podcast feeds.
Version 0.9.2 is the second beta update; it includes several small bug fixes, Standard Theme 3 compatibility and responsive CSS for the support of mobile theme templates!
Version 0.9.1 is the first beta update; it includes several small bug and stylesheet fixes, as well as a major widget update that provides more details about recent messages, series and topics.
Version 0.9 is the initial beta release.